Re: Localisation needs to be improved

Rodd Clarkson さんは書きました:

On Sun, 2008-05-04 at 03:48 +0300, Pavel Shevchuk wrote:
I don't see any Australia-specific options here. You SHOULD NOT get
australian currency or paper format with such locale.

If i understand you correctly, you should set everything to
en_AU.UTF-8, then override LC_MESSAGES with en_US.UTF-8. It will set
paper and currency to Australian, but leave GUI American english

Hmm, if I run "LANG=en_AU.UTF-8 gedit" and look at preferences I see "Fonts and Colors" not "Fonts and Colours" (like for en_GB)?

BUT, I the humble end user shouldn't have to know any of this or do
anything to make it so (rather than feed the installer some appropriate
information).

Well the timezone approach sounds nice but is probably not practical as
others have pointed out.

I think a simple solution for now would be to allow choosing "English (country)" as the install language. At least until we work out a better approach in the longer term.

I agree it would be nice to be able to configure LC_PAPER system wide or for users. system-config-language would be a natural place to do that currently, but a desktop interface would be good too.

Jens