Re: Sponsor required

On 30.04.2008 13:41, Josh Boyer wrote:
On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 22:07 +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:
> [...]
Which is pointing out one very big sore point in Fedora after the merge between core and extras, very little people seem to have been appointed sponsor, certainly something where IMHO FESco is dropping the ball.
I realize that it's much easier to criticize a small body of people vs.
the whole Fedora community, but this is hardly FESCo's fault.

Sorry to disagree, but it IMHO is completely FESCo's fault.

 We have a
standing item in the meeting to discuss and vote on sponsors.  We
literally have not received any nominations in quite a while.

Here is the difference between "I have a open ear for your problems; just come and tell me about it" vs. "I'm looking after you all the time and think I noticed you have some problems; should we try to solve them together" again I mentioned in a mail to this list yesterday.

In the Extras days (at least those when I run the meetings) we *actively* looked out for new sponsors all the time:

* we each meeting asked for new sponsor nominations (self-nominations or nominations from other people) and thus everyone had to think about it for a moment

* in the agenda we send out to the list there was the point "sponsor (self-)nominations" quite often (not often enough) -- that way everyone on the list got a reminder that they can nominate/self-nominate

* new sponsor-nominations were not a FESCO-only thing; we tried to integrate the existing sponsors into the discussions and decisions, as they are in the best position for it (¹)

FESCO doesn't do any of the above properly these days IMHO. Especially the first two points are IMHO important and made sure people always got reminded that they could self-nominate or nominate other people. Most of the time in fact in were no self-nomination -- often people got nominated by existing sponsors.

CU
knurd

(¹) -- that could have worked a lot better, but it worked