Re: Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
Toshio Kuratomi wrote:

While I'm all for #2, if #3 is what happens, please make your symlinks the other way around.

/bin/ifconfig
ln -s /bin/ifconfig /sbin/ifconfig

The move is acknowledging that the binary is useful for end users and therefore belongs in their path (and thus rightfully belongs in /bin). The symlink is backwards compatibility for scripts and people who are used to typing sudo /sbin/ifconfig.

I believe the symlinks should be the other way around (ln -s /sbin/ifconfig /bin/ifconfig), signifying an admin tool that can be useful for normal users. Most (if not all) of them are limited in functionality when not run as root.

Taken from the man page, ifconfig is primarily a configuration tool, not an info tool.

 ifconfig - configure a network interface

Already replied to this argument elsewhere in the thread:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2008-April/msg01769.html

Look forward to your response there.

-Toshio