Re: Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Axel Thimm wrote:
On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:30:31PM -1000, David Cantrell wrote:
The FHS states that /sbin and /usr/sbin are for root-only commands.
If we have programs in those directories that are to be used by
non-root users, I think we've violated the FHS.

The FHS says

"Utilities used for system administration (and other root-only
 commands) are stored in /sbin, /usr/sbin, and /usr/local/sbin."

It's open to interpretation whether the "other root-only command"
implies that "utilities used for system administration" are root-only,
too.

And even if so, the question is whether using 10% of a command (its
querying options) makes a command non-root.

And FWIW I'm not that happy that the default on a multiuser system is
that any *user* can do lots of system analysis. Aren't we blurring the
line between managing and using a system just because we (and other
power users) enjoy doing it all from one account? In that case just
have this account add its favourite PATH extras.

Precisely.

I'm sure there are lots of things each of us will do every time we install a new system, but forcing bad habits onto the rest of the community seems plain wrong.

If anyone needs this so badly, put the */sbin's in your PATH, done!

I always change /etc/profile.d/vim.sh, so that root will get syntax highlighting in vim. This is the same kind of convenience tweak as the */sbin path thing, but the fact that I like it this way, does not make it a sane default... There are numerous other examples of things that might be nice, but does not qualify for sane defaults.

/Thomas