Re: Adding /sbin and /usr/sbin to everyone's path in F10

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

The tools in /sbin are divided into two categories:

  a) Those that are useful for non-root users, mostly in a
query/reporting capacity.  Like ifconfig, lsmod, and fdisk (for -l),
lspci, lsusb, ...

  b) Those that are not useful without root privileges.   Like modprobe,
rmmod, insmod, fsck, swapoff, ...

There are 3 ways to handle this issue:

  1) All of a) and b) in /sbin, and /sbin not in users' path.  This is
the current setting.

  2) All of a) and b) in /sbin, and /sbin in users' path.  This is what
you propose.

  3) Symlink all of a) into /bin (or symlink), but keep b) in /sbin and
keep /sbin out of users' path.

In an ideal world, we would have 3.  But it's a lot of packaging work.
Failing that, there's near consensus that 2) is better than 1) as the
set of commands in group a) seems to be larger than b).

I'm afraid I fail to see the near-consensus anywhere in this thread.

Firstly, I'll happily accept 3), given we can come up with a sane policy to choose what goes into /bin.

Secondly, 3) really shouldn't be that hard to accomplish once the policy is agreed upon. The packages will most likely be touched during F10 development anyways and adding a symlink is not all that hard.

Thirdly, if 3) cannot be accomplished, I *much* rather stick with 1).

/Thomas