Re: How is the new networking world supposed to work?

Dan Williams wrote:
- Device: eth0 ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Type:              Wired
    Driver:            forcedeth
    State:             connected
    HW Address:        00:00:00:00:00:00

I've seen this once and not been able to reproduce; there might be a
race between bringing up the card and getting a valid MAC address since
sometimes the MAC can't be read until firmware is loaded and booted, but
that's usually only an issue with wireless cards since wired devices
don't usually have firmware.

I actually managed to fix my problem by disabling the "network" service. I guess the remaining question is why the interface ends up in a b0rked state when it is first brought up by "network" and then taken over by NM. Should "network" actually bring the interface up if the config file says "NM_CONTROLLED=yes"?

I think it would be useful to define the semantics when both services are started. Should there be two sets of interfaces determined by NM_CONTROLLED and each service only caring for its "own" so that they don't collide or should this work like an override mechanism where one service takes over interfaces from the service that ran before?

    Capabilities:
      Supported:       yes
      Carrier Detect:  yes
      Speed:           100 Mb/s

    Wired Settings

    IP Settings:
      IP Address:      192.168.2.100
      Subnet Mask:     255.255.255.0
      Broadcast:       192.168.2.255
      Gateway:         192.168.2.1
      DNS:             195.50.140.178
      DNS:             195.50.140.114
      DNS:             192.168.2.1

- Device: eth1 ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Type:              Wired
    Driver:            3c59x
    State:             unavailable
    HW Address:        00:50:04:49:E0:EC

This is the interesting part; and also something I've seen once in
conjunction with the issues above.  The "unavailable" state for wired
devices usually means NM can't detect a carrier for that card.  In your
case though, NM seems to think it does support carrier detection, since
it responds correctly to either MII register accesses or ethtool
queries.

eth1 isn't connected so the "unavailable" state is correct. That interface isn't used at all.

    Capabilities:
      Supported:       yes
      Carrier Detect:  yes
      Speed:           10 Mb/s

    Wired Settings

(I've added "prepend domain-name-servers 195.50.140.178, 195.50.140.114;"
to dhclient-eth0.conf so I get decent nameservers in resolv.conf)

You can also set DNS1 and DNS2 into your ifcfg files.  That's  a bit
easier...

Indeed, thanks for the tip.

Regards,
  Dennis