Re: python packaging, egg-info file vs. directory

Joel Andres Granados wrote:

I would put in a little change. The reason for the change is that I (the packager) don't really care that the python package provides eggs. I just want to know when to follow the "put egg in package" guide line. So I think that info can go away without doing any harm. Here is How I would put it:

'''
Since eggs establish a base of functionality that upstream authors can expect, we need to be sure to include the egg files if a package builds them. Starting with Fedora 9, any package that uses setuptools or distutils to build, needs to build eggs. In Fedora 8 or less, only setuptools packages build eggs. If you need to provide eggs for a distutils package on Fedora 8 or less, "Providing Eggs using Setuptools" describes a method of substituting setuptools for distutils in the build process so egg-info is built.
'''

Updated with a few minor edits:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/Python/Eggs#WhenEggs

-Toshio