Re: fWindows Data Migration Tool

Ahmed Kamal wrote:
Microsoft's File and Settings transfer tool migrates:

   *

      Internet Explorer settings

Good idea. Ditto firefox

   *

      Outlook Express settings and store

   *

      Outlook settings and store

Difficult due to diversity of preferred mail clients among Fedora users. Evo is the sane default, but Tbird usage is still massive.

   *

      Dial-Up connections

Do we care? Not hard to do either way.

   *

      Phone and modem options

Simple enough.

   *

      Accessibility

Might not be 1:1 here, but good faith effort could make this work

   *

      Screen saver selection

Not likely :(

   *

      Fonts

Can be done. Do we want to encourage copying the fonts from windows though? (The settings themselves are useless unless we go get the fonts which back them)

   *

      Folder options

   *

      Taskbar settings

Not sure about the correspondence here

   *

      Mouse and keyboard settings

Can do

   *

      Sounds settings

Could get interesting. Fedora has always had a more sophisticated view of the sound devices than windows.

   *

      Regional options

Simple, and a good thing to have.

   *

      Office settings

Likely to be harder than its worth. OOo and MSOffice are always juuust different enough that they don't cooperate well.

   *

      Network drives and printers

Not too hard.

   *

      Desktop folder

   *

      My Documents folder

   *

      My Pictures folder

   *

      Favorites folder

   *

      Cookies folder

Gets back to the core "mirroring" aspect.

   *

      Common Office file types

Not sure what this one means.

--CJD