Re: Feature or bug? (strange?) yum behaviour

seth vidal wrote:
On Tue, 2008-04-01 at 18:31 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
There are plenty of ways to get broken code. I don't think it is a bad thing to avoid one of them. And I'm never thrilled when anything adds interface changes that require knowing the differences between machines in the scripts that ssh commands to them - as for example when yum decided not to like --download-only and might or might not do --downloadonly depending on the circumstances. (I still have an assortment of CentoOS3.x boxes running too...).

okay, your expectations about a program ever changing what its command
line arguments are (even between major version changes) is unreasonable
and frankly not pleasant.

It's not an expectation, it's an experience. I just don't see what the point is of a change like that in a needed system utility any more than I'd understand if cat changed its name to feline, breaking all the scripted work that ever used it.

The api has remained consistent for rhel and centos in 5. The feature
set and speed has been enhanced.

So you think it is OK for every version to require different command lines for the same common operations? That is very untypical for unix-like systems.

I'm not going to continue this discussion on this list. If you have a
problem with what centos ships, take it up on a centos list.

The reason I'm bringing it up here is that this is where the changes happen.

If you have
a problem with what rhel ships take it up with your sales rep or
technical account manager.

The problem I mentioned was in FC6, but

It is offtopic for this list.

Consistency is offtopic? How odd. Do I have to look at some other distributions to find one that understands that consistent operations are valuable?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx