Re: Too many default services on

On 03/31/2008 11:07 PM, Ville Skyttä wrote:
On Monday 31 March 2008, Chris Ricker wrote:
On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, John Dennis wrote:
My understanding is rpm's which install a service do *not* start the
service in %post via chkconfig for all the reasons cited in the thread
(i.e. the sys admin or owner decides what should be running, how it's
configured,e etc. merely installing an rpm should not start a hidden
service). There are a minority of exceptions, services which must run to
make the system usable, these are well known. It is permissible to
perform a condrestart in %post, but this is just respecting the existing
configuration on the box.
AFAIK, there are no guidelines -- look through the wiki and see if you can
find any?

I can't find any and I'm a bit surprised about that - I think there was a recommendation in the fedora.us guidelines that recommended "everything off unless there's a good reason for it to be on by default" which IMO is a good rule of thumb.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/ScriptletSnippets#head-69c816fcf14e5130694c81f1ffa17a553ac94302 is the closest match I've found