Re: system-config-soundcard: why?

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
Dnia 25-03-2008, wto o godzinie 22:09 +0100, Hans de Goede pisze:
Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
Dnia 25-03-2008, wto o godzinie 16:48 -0400, Bill Nottingham pisze:
So, why do we need this in the default install?
Does firstboot call s-c-soundcard? I didn't see it, when I was
installing Fedora 8 (yesterday).

It can only do harm...

Esp. for my sound card with no options for modules supplied. My card
needs ac97_quirk=2 and dxs_support=2 to get rid of "ear harm" when
playing some sound(s).

Please report this to the alsa project, they should be able to teach the driver to recognize your motherboard and set these options automatically.

You think so?

I'm pretty sure that they (the alsa project) can and will add automatic setting of quirks for known troublesome motherboards. So this definetely is something to report, that way you will not only be helping yourself for future installs, but also all other owners of the same motherboard who use Linux!

And same should I do with my bttv driver?

Not sure about that one, AFAIK it tries to autodetect most stuff too, reporting misdetections surely can't harm, but I guess you need some params for your tuner or something like that and the interface to that is i2c which makes autodetect somewhat troublesome. Still you can always try reporting, subscribe here:

And then send a mail, once the issue has been discussed you can unsubscribe again ( I don't believe its all that high volume).

Thanks & Regards,

Hans