Re: yum & slow internet

seth vidal wrote:

Yum in Fedora 8 is working slowly getting repodata and solving
dependencies. But Paul W. Frields tolds that we will have a better
yum... 2x 3x faster and less used memory. Also, Fedora 9 will include package kit, (replacing pirut)...
there are no way... I will hope for Fedora 9.
Finally a comment: I was looking for a option as "download updates
automaticaly and notify to install", somebody told me about a plugin
for yum but I never found it. I don´t know if it will go on Fedora 9
but is a util option.

yum install yum-downloadonly

that'll install the module you want.

Personally I think people would be happier if the downloadonly plugin would be included in a base install and documentation/examples/help showed it as the typical update method. That is, do the:
yum --downloadonly update
more or less unattended, repeating as necessary if it doesn't complete and knowing it won't hurt anything, then babysit the real
yum update
which will happen quickly and may need a reboot and/or some application testing afterwards.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx