Re: PackageKit and default update strategy

Matthew Miller wrote:
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 02:47:49PM -0400, Robin Norwood wrote:
updates automatically as the default configuration.  I personally like
the idea, but I suspect that some people will not like this behavior as
the default.

It's a good default.

I disagree, imho automatic updates should always be "opt-in".

If the process is considered three phases: notification, download, apply update
the notification should be "on" by default, but the download and apply should be user selectable between automatic and "manual" with the *default* being manual for both. I think we should not impose updates on people without first giving them a chance to choose how they want their system to behave. Perhaps something in firstboot to allow them to set their update choices would Do The Right Thing.

Richard