Re: F8 kernel-2.6.24.3-12.fc8

Andrew Farris wrote:
Anders Karlsson wrote:
* Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> [20080310 12:18]:
[snip]
Again.. as has been stated previously by people with authority around here (which I am not)... testers did not provide proper feedback on this kernel, via the tooling in place for it [1]. Proper QA is not the responsibility of someone else. It is the responsibility of the community. People's lack of participation in how the system works are their own failure in this case.

So the Fedora process is;
"If *we* break it, it's *your* fault because *you* did not test it" ?

I stand by my earlier comment that this shows little but contempt for
the userbase.

Fedora devs have *countless* times proven they care what the users think about this type of situation, but users who only share what they think after shit breaks are useless to everyone.

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought that the idea was to have a three-tier system
with stable, testing and unstable repos (to borrow terms from Debian),
where the idea is to run stable if you intend on doing something
productive, testing if you participate in QA and unstable if you like
living on the edge.

That is in inaccurate picture which probably has alot to do with your frustration over this. Debian's unstable and testing are completely separate repos not intended to get flowed together at a regular timeframe. Fedoras are meant to be very temporary, for testing. Updates-testing is a place where things desperately need testing interaction so they can be pushed because they are only there because they fix known bugs... not because its new stuff that happens to be unstable and is not getting dropped into the primary repo.

If this is the expectation, why not enable updates-testing by default
or at least encourage users to use it more?  I for one have never
had it enabled (I do lots of rawhide testing though) as I was not aware
of its nature or need.