Re: et tu, wvdial Re: RFE: Remove isdn4k-utils from base installs

Lamont Peterson wrote:
On Friday 22 February 2008 01:50:14 pm Callum Lerwick wrote:
On Fri, 2008-02-22 at 13:15 -0500, R P Herrold wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Dave Jones wrote:
I wonder where all the vocal germans are, in opposition to
this change.  :)

Seriously, I wonder how much this is still true.  A few
years ago, sure, but now, aparently even some of the more
rural parts of Germany have ADSL.
in for a dime, in for a dollar --the same RFE arguments for
trimming out dialup PPP support (wvdial) exist;  while dialup
PPP still exists, it is a dying breed in Fedora's target
audience
Honestly, how much space would be saved by cutting out ISDN? PPP? Unless
it's a saving on order of hundreds of megs, it's a drop in the bucket.
Its much more important to have things "just work" for the maximum
number of users.

Alright, look. I don't know how to say this any plainer. I *am not* asking to have ISDN support removed. I am asking to not have it in the base, minimal, installs. When I think of a minimal install, 1GB of stuff that includes dozens of packages like ISDN is not what I'm thinking about.

I don't have any servers in data centers that need ISDN support. If I ever do, I know how to install the package. If someone doesn't, they can find it in the dial-up support and install that.

How many servers do you have that need dial-up? Would anyone in Europe care to comment on this question? Do you have any servers that need dial-up support installed as part of a minimal install?

Alright, look again. Imagine the oldest smallest desktop or laptop box that Fedora is intended to support. Does it have dialup on it? Is it used by someone that only has dialup access to the internet? What if their access is ISDN only?

Richard