Re: Incompatible Unison update

Christopher Aillon wrote:
On 02/21/2008 04:15 PM, Andrew Farris wrote:
I've used unison for awhile, and quite frankly this happens all the time. To handle consistent sync you need to match the versions being used on both sides exactly and keep them there. I've had it break numerous times changing versions within 'compatible' version ranges. Changing those versions means you have to take what currently exists and assume it is in sync the first time you run the new version. This is just how things have been going with unison.

For the record, that sounds dumb and a reason to strongly consider rsync or something else instead of unison.

Unison does something that rsync can't, which is to keep track of state in a way that works with changes at both ends and to tell the difference between a deletion on one side and a new file on the other. But, its home page status never looked very promising so I've always used rsync and tracked my own changes.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx