Re: Anaconda needs new locale thinking. (was Re: How important are ISO standards to Fedora?)

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Dominik 'Rathann' Mierzejewski wrote:

Timezone and locale are two different things.
LC_TIME only affects the way dates are displayed.

True, but if you choose "English (US)" as install language, then clicked "Stockholm" for time zone, what would you argue is the best locale setting for LC_TIME?

It is not really certain that just because you have an English (US) Fedora, you want dates as mm/dd/yyyy. In fact I would argue, that if TZ is set to Stockholm meredian, the user is very unlikely to understand what date 14/02/2008 is, since we Swedes always write 2008-02-14, and the user will more likely be a Swede (OK could be hosted internet service for the US I do agree, but think probabilities). And we definately don't have "letter" paper around under any circumstances.

The important question to ask is whether there are apps/libs out there that get trouble unless the LC_* vars are actually different. glibc will likely survive, since it has all of these settings.

Linus