Re: pulseaudio causing crashing of applications

Schlaegel wrote:
On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Chuck Anderson <cra@xxxxxxx> wrote:
It has been said before.  Imagine if someone left a mic snooping
program running on Session #1 while Session #2 came along and started
talking on the phone?  This kind of thing should be prevented BY
DEFAULT.

But why does ownership go to the most recent session, instead of the
first active session?

In real life, an audience member does not automatically get exclusive
use of the microphone a public speaker is speaking into, just because
the audience member happened to be the last one to enter the room.
Instead, if a public speaker is using a microphone, then he or she
expects to be the exclusive user of that microphone until he or she
sets it down, gives it to someone, or purposefully shares it.

Exactly! I can see where the new unexpected default behavior might be useful, but it should be a choice left up to local configuration. Plus, it doesn't make sense at all in the context of anything but a 1-user-at-a-time situation with only one device in action. I rarely use the physical console, preferring to use the NX client from another machine, most of the time near enough that the speakers would be usable, though. And I wouldn't want a login on the physical console to interrupt my remote session. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to have permissions determined by where you are instead of who you are in the first place, but what happens when there are multiple logins or you add some extra usb sound devices and want to run concurrent sessions?

Where does bluetooth fit into this scheme? If you have a phone call going with a slightly remote bluetooth headset, does a user switch at the keyboard for something unrelated break it?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx