Re: to autodownload or not to autodownload

On 02/10/2008 02:52 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:
If users want to get non-free items, I would MUCH rather usher them to the legal way to do so versus the illegal way. Fluendo is currently the only legal way we can offer for the US and some other countries.

The same argument could be used for autodownloader, if someone wants to play quake, I much rather have they use autodl to download a legal version then use some pirated full version.

I really must say I don't understand how people can have an issue with autodownloader and at the same time defend codina. To me that is nothing shirt of hypocritical.

Here's the bottom line:

Is $MEDIAPLAYER usable if the user decides they don't want to download any codecs with codeina? Yes, because we ship and support vorbis, theora, flac, wav, etc.

Is $GAME playable if the user decides they don't want to download the non-free items? If yes, I'm totally fine with the game using autodownloader. If no, I have a major problem with the game being in Fedora. In neither case do I have a problem with autodownloader existing.