Re: request: can somebody please port googleearth-package to fedora?

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 06:15:36PM +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>   "Rise of the Triad", the engine has been GPLed, the data is still proprietary
> and the game is useless without it. There's this package using autodownloader
> and there's rott-registered which requires the commercial data.
>
> So out of 6 autodownloader users, 5 don't work at all without the non-Free
> data.

I don't think datasets are that clear cut. There are a lot of tools which are
free, useful but don't work without non-free data sets. For example the gnome
stock ticker which uses proprietary feeds clear needs to go. And firefox
uses google for search which is a proprietary data dependancy ...

A better test would be whether it is possible to produce new free data sets
for them.

Alan