Re: call for brave ext4 testers in F9, with caveats

On 2/7/08, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At one point the rescue disk was "claiming" ext3 filesystems as ext4dev;
that was a bug that should be fixed now, and recent kernels have the
permanent upstream "failsafe check" to avoid that put into place*.  I'm
guessing that's what happened?  Although that bug was only with root
filesystems AFAIK.  Did you ever intentionally mount it as ext4dev?

After earlier positive results using ext4dev with FC6 test releases, I had deliberately mounted all corresponding partitions as ext4dev only to realize later on that in contrast with FC6 test X, this had become a one way street. The file system check was introduced the very next day which was a good thing because otherwise, your system became unbootable after the next kernel update, and even after reinstalling your system, you were forced to use a "rawhide" kernel in order to be able to mount your home volume.

As far as going back to ext3 - if you have extent-format files on the
filesystem, you can find them, mount with -o noextents, and copy the
files back & forth to "un-extentify" them, then we could use tune2fs to
remove the extents flag to get you back to ext3.  But if you've been
running /home as ext4dev for a while, it's probably got a lot of
extent-format files.

Also if you need to repair it, so far there is no released e2fsprogs
which can do that.  If you have an emergency let me know, and we'll get
something going.

With a suitable backup media this is no issue, since you can simply reformat your home volume as ext3 and restore you data afterwards. I suppose this applies to most users.

But, good news you've not noticed any problems, even if it was not
intentional....

Thanks,
-Eric

I will keep an eye on it but again, I haven't noticed any issue since this "migration".