Re: yum and yum-updatesd in Rawhide

James Antill wrote:
On Tue, 2008-02-05 at 18:42 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:

I suppose that might be because I'm not understanding how we decide if a group is installed or not.

Very likely. There are no "installed groups"

So grouplist then determines what groups are 'installed' and available by simply whether or not you happen to have all packages listed in a group installed.. making the group then 'installed'. I incorrectly thought it was already maintained whether a group was or was not installed, as well as then whether all the packages were still present.

 When you run "yum groupinstall" you are, in reality, just installing
the set of packages in the group(s) listed and the result is exactly the
same as if you had listed the packages manually and used "yum install".
Dito. "yum groupremove" and "yum remove".

That I always understood. The lacking metadata is then whether a group is installed (by accident) or by request. The difference being if someone just happened to install almost all of a group manually, then having a groupinstall command for a different group end up fulfilling the entire other group (by accident).

So achieving two understandings of groupremove is not then possible without more metadata, because it is ambiguous whether a group is installed intentionally or happens to be 'installed' incidentally. Thank you for pointing out the root issue with making it happen.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul@xxxxxxxxx> www.lordmorgul.net