Re: Fedora Education Spin

Hi all.

Jon Ciesla wrote:
Add genchemlab and gonvert.  Not too big, would add value.
Done! ;)

Nicu Buculei wrote:
I understand you used claws-mail as default due to size concerns, but if you look at our application usage statistics [1], will see Thunderbird is a much popular choice (and the package is not that big), maybe it is a better default?
I agree, Thunderbird is clearly more popular. I have created a new build with it. Seems to fit...

And how about some "advanced" applications, like Gimp and Inkscape? I think "education" should not be only about "absolute beginners" and having such applications available to learn is very useful.
In my first tries, I had included these apps, but I removed them due to space problems. I had also thought of blender, which might be useful. In the new version, gimp and blender are included by default. Inkscape pulls in some large dependencies, so I wasn't able to include it at the moment.

But I think it could be a case for an installation directly from the internet or from a second cd (just like Les proposed)... Maybe, providing a script on the desktop, which then installs a list of further apps via yum, might be the easiest way to check this out. I have thought of an: 'echo "yum install something" > somewhere on the desktop' in the kickstart file But I think this is not really convincing. If you have any other ideas, how to realize this, please tell me.

Huzaifa Sidhpurwala wrote:
You are right, i totally missed this email.
However on seeing this link i think this contains very few edu apps.
Probably i can directly contribute to this rather than start my own.
Well, I could for example take a test run of the whole thing and give some feedback, if you want to. Or if you have further package suggestions or other ideas, please let me know...

By the way: I have uploaded the new kickstart file and extended the table a bit (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SebastianDziallas/Education)...

Sebastian