Re: InstantMirror needs a rethink

Today InstantMirror is pretty useful for home and small office mirrors, but its limitations make it unsustainable without manual intervention of
the sysadmin.

I am using it now so our ~20 systems don't waste T-1 bandwidth.

- Synchronization/locking of multiple connections downloading the same
file is awkward and broken.

My use is low enough volume I haven't run into that.

- There is no good way to clean up aborted tmp files.

Haven't had any.

- There is no good way to know what are old files that need pruning.

With disk space relatively cheap here in the USA, and a new Fedora every ~6 months, I just rm -rf the old release directories after I migrate to the new version. I don't worry about multiple updates to the same package, except for giant ones like OOo.

Another outgrowth of the Fedora release cycle is I usually only apply security updates, or updates that fix specific problems I experience. There is no sense for me to download and apply updates for hardware I don't use, for example. I figure I'll pick up application updates in 6 months when the next release drops, I usually don't need the update _right now_.

I don't need a rsync of a mirror, just a cache of the updates I choose to apply because those specific updates will be applied across multiple machines.

- There is no good way of keeping track of the "Big Picture" of its own
cache, "least recently used" knowing what files were unpopular locally
and should be pruned.

I don't have a need for that functionality with my usage.

Any thoughts?

Ignoring the temp file and multiple connection issues, the synchronization part could be solved by InstantMirror writing some type of log file or access popularity file. A separate cron script could read in that data and prune the unpopular / duplicate files.

From a separate message :

1) Origin HTTP mirrors can be configured to serve "Cache-Control:
max-age=0" in HTTP headers whenever they serve repodata/* files.  This
can become a standard recommendation for all Fedora mirrors.  Does
anyone know how to configure Apache to do this?

<Directory /var/ftp/pub/fedora/linux/releases/8/Everything/x86_64/os/ repodata>
Header always set Cache-Control: max-age=0
</Directory>

Probably the best way would be to put this in a .htaccess file for each repodata directory as that directory is created. The .htaccess file would have a local directory directive instead of a full path ( createrepo ? ). Otherwise the main apache config ( or a file in conf.d ) would need to be updated / added each time a release is made ( or an arch is added).

2) Squid refresh_pattern can use a regex to override max-age=0 for
repodata/* files. I haven't figured out exactly what the syntax is for
this.  Anybody know squid.conf?

refresh_pattern \/repodata\/.*		0	0%	0

<hno> Apache do not have this same abstract internal layer, and writing
a mod_disk_cache replacement which keeps a mirror type file structure
should be pretty easy thing to do.

This seems to best leverage existing code / apps, although I am not in a position to help here.

Charles Dostale
http://www.silveroaks.com/
824 17th Street, Moline  IL  61265