Re: Yum, Proxy Cache Safety, Storage Backend

James Antill wrote:

 In neither case is "work around HTTPs design in yum" a good solution,
IMNSHO.
I'd rather call it "using existing infrastructure and protocols intelligently" - instead of cluttering everyone's caches with randomized URLs to get duplicate files.

 So you think the best thing to do is remove mirrorlist entirely, and
just rely on proxies ...

No, I think the best thing would be a mechanism that would make any set of yum's behind the same proxy use the cached mirrorlist and always pick the same first choice from it, with some appropriate alternates to retry only if the first choice doesn't respond. This doesn't 'rely' on the proxy but it will reduce load on the mirrors by the number of machines that happen to share a working proxy as well as speeding up all but the first update.

you are obviously free to your opinion, and you
can do that today.

I can't do it usefully since I don't know what URL anyone else who is so inclined might have chosen. Or, for that matter, who else behind the same proxy might be using fedora.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx