Re: Yum, Proxy Cache Safety, Storage Backend

Les Mikesell wrote:

Interesting, but it still requires custom setup for any distro/version that the proxy admin would want to support. What I'd really like to happen is for yum to just always prefer the same URL when working through the same proxy so caching would work by default without needing to be aware of the cache content. This would work automatically if the target was a single site, RRDNS, or geo-ip managed DNS, but you probably can't arrange that for all the repo mirrors. There has to be some clever way to get the same effect even when using a mirrorlist - like making sure the mirrorlist itself is cached and always picking the same entry so any client will use the same URL that the mirrormanger gave to the first one that made a request. Of course you'd need a reasonable retry mechanism to pick something else if this choice fails but I'd guess it would be a big win in bandwidth use and load on the mirrors if it worked most of the time to take advantage of existing local caches with no modifications.

I am NOT SURE about this, and it might be NOT SAFE to do (might make a public mirror disappear from others?), but I suspect that adding your site-local netblock to one of the mirrors might make that mirror always appear first in your mirrorlist.

Anyone else know how MirrorManager handles this?

Currently only the mirror owner has access to add site-local netblocks so this isn't a self-serve solution for users yet.

Warren Togami
wtogami@xxxxxxxxxx