Re: long term support release

Chuck Anderson wrote:
On Tue, Jan 22, 2008 at 09:57:58PM -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
David Mansfield wrote:
You're not suggesting I use the 'Other Well Known Distro' are you?
Seriously, though, on my latest laptop I tried CentOS 5, and it was
awful on a laptop.  Synaptic problems, networkmanager problems, crappy
wireless support (out of date) etc.  I killed it in about a week.  I
also tried the Other distro and as a Fedora (and Red Hat Linux before
that) guy, it just doesn't do it for me.  Old dog, new tricks.  It
lasted about a month. That said, updating every 6 months doesn't do it
for me either.  What's a Fedora lover to do?
You could skip every other Fedora release and get a full year between your upgrades, still getting the lastest security patches the whole time. F7 doesn't go to EOL until F9 releases.

Not really. You have to wait ~6 months for the newest release to stabalize before upgrading to it

How do you decide whether the release is stabilized or not?
After the 6 months, the next release is shipped, and normally it causes the less updates rate for the previous release. IOW, less number of updates (per week etc.) for the old release does not mean that such a release is stable, it just mean that the contributors are focused on the next release now.

Actually, "the stability poin" for me is about 3 month after the release.

~buc