Re: Experiment: an RPM that shows uninstalled apps in main menu

Andrew Farris wrote:
Given that this rpm would already be carrying the entire list of available software in official repos, their .desktop files, executable names, and information about which package contains them...

I wonder if it would be feasible to start developing support for command line 'yum install foo' suggestions to users (ala apt on debian/ubuntu systems).

For instance, user knows (from a friend or random webpage) that the program foo is neat, and tries to start it:
 > foo
 > Command not found: foo
 > This program is available for Fedora but is not currently installed.
 > To install this program type (as root): yum install FooPackage

That'd be nice to have also, and i think is fairly orthogonal to the fedora-apps RPM idea. After all this targets terminal users, while the uninstalled icons target all users, especially those that never use a terminal app (i.e. those for whom the only way to install additional software is with the 'Add/Remove Software' menu entry, aka pirut).