Re: rawhide report: 20080116 changes

Horst H. von Brand wrote:
Jason L Tibbitts III <tibbs@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
"KK" == Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
KK> Huh? What's that doing in a Fedora package?

What do you mean?  Do you feel this is somehow unacceptable?

KK> It's plain data, isn't it?

It's data for use with other packages in the distribution.

KK> Are we going to get a R-BSgenome.*.UCSC.ce* package for every
KK> species in existence? ;-)

Only the ones which have been sequenced.  I think there are three or
four of them available.

While I'm not against including genome data, this is a very specialized
area... perhaps a separate YUM repo for such stuff? Copies of this will
have to be carried by each and every mirror.
If we do so we end to the question
Should we make a specific repo for each specific field and let the user
pick the repo he is interested in.

There will be then a repo for EPEL, a repo for Bioinformatics... but
even, how would you distinguish the different repo ?
Is electronic part of the EPEL, but I guess there are some software
there that are used in others sciences...
R is used in bioinformatics but can be also used for statistics or for
data manipulation... Would you split the different libraries of R into
different repo ?

It is an idea but have to be investigated, and also the way for the user
to find where are the software he is interested in... I see a big work
there...

Regards,
Pierre

___________________________________________________________________________ Yahoo! Mail réinvente le mail ! Découvrez le nouveau Yahoo! Mail et son interface révolutionnaire.