Re: Linux is not about choice [was Re: Fedora too cutting edge?]

Horst H. von Brand wrote:

In the old days if it was eth0 yesterday
it would still be eth0 today, but that doesn't happen anymore.  The
servers typically have 4 nics with 2 in use and it can be painful
figuring how to assign the addresses and routes so the network
connections work on a new box or a replacement OS.

Get them by MAC, not as ethX. I.e., here I have in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:

  # Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller
  DEVICE=eth0
  ONBOOT=yes
  BOOTPROTO=dhcp
  HWADDR=00:a0:d1:78:d7:c5

and the correct name is given to that eth.

Thanks - that works in the replacement case if I have the foresight to snarf the current MAC addresses before the disk dies. (Is this documented somewhere and is it going to stay this way?) But an equally common case is that new machines are being rolled out and the hardware tech plugging the drive in doesn't know much about linux or what the MAC address is for the machine - and I can't connect to help until he gets at least one of them right.

So, the generic question is, now that the system uses essentially
random names for devices, is there a way, or a plan for a way, to deal
with situations where many choices of new devices appear as a result
of hardware changes, disk moves, backup/restores on new hardware,

... random hot(un)plugging, ...

Of devices that I don't necessarily want mounted.

etc. and if so, will it require a GUI to deal with it?  So far I've
only heard the notion that these things should "just work" and I want
to make sure that everybody knows it can't "just work" because the
system can't possibly know want I want to do with a newly attached
device

The systen /can/ tell e.g. this is still the FooLaser printer serial
XYZ-ABCDE, even though it is connected through a different USB port today.
AFAICS, as things stand, the system is /not/ doing anything funky, it just
gives a way of finding out what is where (and the device has a clear ID);
and uses this if the device had been configured before. Things do get
tricky if you want to dd(1) disk images around, or are fond of serial
devices connected through USB-serial dongles, etc. But then you want the
system to do non-obvious stuff...

I'd say most of what I do is non-obvious, which is why I've always liked unix systems that don't make wrong guesses and do what someone else thought should be the obvious thing. There's a place for the black magic stuff, of course, but how do you turn it off - for example when you are building/copying drive images that will run elsewhere or you just want raw device access for other reasons? And how do you identify the device from a set of choices?

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx