Re: Fedora too cutting edge?

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008, Hans de Goede wrote:
Notice how a preliminary fix is expected for 2.6.25, which probably means that this will still be broken in Fedora 9, notice that the breakage was introduced in Fedora 7, so thats 18 months worth of broken firewire camera support (iow most digital video cameras).

That seems like a bold, and IMO, unsubstantiated claim. I managed to get a Firewire camera to work using the new stack a couple weeks ago. I had a bit of trouble, which lead me to discussions that came to the same general conclusion that you outlined in your email, but then I tried chown'ing the /dev/fw-* (or whatever) devices to my user, and things miraculously worked. This was on kernel-2.6.23.1-49.fc8; I hadn't gotten around to rebooting that box in a while (nor have I tried the camera since rebooting to 2.6.23.9-85.fc8). I won't deny, however, getting burned a time or three by Fedora's early-adopter practices. :-)

     Jima