Re: how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Lennart Poettering wrote:

What we really want is some kind of init-like babysitter as the
session manager. (...)
I try to push Scott Remnant with his InitKit into that direction. (...)
While the
dependency trees are certainly much simpler for GNOME sessions than
for system bootup it is basically the same problem, so it would be
great to handle both the same way by the same code.

Sounds like you're advocating InitKit to build upon init[ng] being "init[ng] for sessions".

And it intuitively strikes me as a good idea.

With the percieved slowness in session start discussed in other threads, the parallelizing nature of especially initng could be put to good work here. (Or I misunderstood the details entirely.)

Linus