Re: Undoing ACLs (was Re: Dealing with PPC in Fedora 9(+))

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 12:00:49 +0000
David Woodhouse <dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

(Although I don't feel wonderfully happy about accepting such rights
for myself alone when I feel strongly that _all_ Fedora contributors
should be able to commit to all packages. It's not as if we can't
revert stuff, and can't promote an attitude of violence towards
people who abuse the privilege, like we already have.)

This is actually a topic that has come up a few times.  A good number
of previously core packages still have default locked down ACLs.  This
was somewhat mandated by the general populace of core maintainers.
However I think that the trial period is over and I hope that the
Fedora maintainers at large have proved to be responsible about what
they do, so that all maintainers should feel confident in opened
packages.

I still want there to be an ACL system for when a maintainer strongly
feels that his/her package should be kept to a small commit list.
However the vast majority would be just fine open, and would promote
more of a help you neighbor attitude if ACLs weren't in the way.

So I'd like to discuss the idea of having an automated "opening" of all
ACLs that a maintainer can opt /out/ of should they choose.  Some
methodology of tagging each package that should be opened and allowing
some time for a maintainer to "untag" the package as it were to opt out
of opening it.

I'm bouncing this back over to fedora-devel-list as that's where
something like this should be brought up.

Thoughts?

+ a lott

Regards,

Hans