Re: Changing the rpm default queryformat to include arch

On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Michael Schroeder wrote:

On Tue, Nov 27, 2007 at 01:30:19PM +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
with this queryformat people now will start bitching on why they can't
find a file of this name - the same applies to "all small letters file
names".

I'm changing the default filename too to match this, for this very reason.

Hmm, this makes bash completion a bit akward as $COMP_WORDBREAKS
contains a ':'. I.e., foo-3:2<TAB> doesn't complete the rpm name
any longer.

Right, that's fairly nasty, and also I think the first practical "this breaks" example instead of "somebodys hypotethical script somewhere" cases (which without doubt do exist). Backing up to filesystem X where ':' is illegal doesn't really count as reason though, as ':' is a valid character in rpm otherwise anyway.

The point of the excercise (in rpm.org HEAD) was largely to see what would really break but I think I've seen enough already. So back to plan A) which was
- add arch to default queryformat
- add popt-alias for legacy nvr queryformat - add popt-alias for nevra queryformat to make accessing the "hidden"
  epoch info saner than a mile-long queryformat strings

I guess that's enough excitement for one-time change in the world of RPM,
and now off to revert the changes, mark for revisiting in ten years...

At least this was a fairly entertaining day on fedora-devel ;)

	- Panu -