Re: Should "yum install" be case sensitive?

Panu Matilainen wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007, seth vidal wrote:

I understood you think it is a bad idea but if yum already checks first
to see if there is a perfect match and then does a more fuzzy search, I
don't see a problem with it. There are people who do yum -y remove foo
and then blame yum. I think your rm -rf example is similar.

There is a real need to solve the problem that OP talks about. It has
bitten me more than once including precisely the example cited: Miro. I
am not sure what would be the best solution though. Debian does it by
enforcing lower case on all their packages IIRC.

Yes and that is what we should do - enforce lower case on all packages.

Policy problems should be handled in policy, not by adding crack to
software.

Amen. I hate typing WeIRdPaCKageNaMEs as much as the next guy, but depsolvers guess package names is not a good idea. Someboy wants it bad enough, it should be easy enough to write yum-didyoumean plugin that does elaborate guesswork and offers near matches "Did you mean foo?" ala Google.

Can we finally have the lower case on package names policy? Pretty please?

Kind of late in the game to ask for that without providing a means to keep working as the change is implemented by each packager separately, isn't it? The existing dependencies aren't going to all be fixed on the same day.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx