Re: When will CVS be replaced by modern version control system?

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

You usually need some time in a support/sysadmin position managing
systems built by developers from SCM dumps (or god forbid production
systems directly re-build from developer SCM-plugged RAD IDE
environments) to appreciate the difference.
I do know the difference - a company where I worked for years had one group that was religious about deployment builds being based strictly on tags and the SCM containing everything necessary for the build and another that did a lot of hand tweaking and could only do the build on one machine that nobody remembered how to reconstruct. A patient QA dept. was the only thing that let the latter group survive.

Then I'm surprised you assume we'd find mostly group1s on the internet
and not a huge majority of group2s.

To be fair, the nature of the 2 products were different. Group 1 was server-side and had to be able to immediately back out any problematic changes, and had to plan out strict deployment procedures that operators could follow. Group 2 was client-side and fixed everything with yet another build/release, rarely looking back and with users dealing with the work of tracking the updates. So, I suppose I should only expect the strict SCM tracking from projects where the group actually relies on their own work for something critical. However, other than some time planning the build process around the SCM so you give it a tag and it builds that version and making sure all the needed tools and build scripts were checked in, there really was no extra overhead in group 1's work.

but the best you'll probably do with internet development is to glue a bug tracker to the revision number.

Ie chances to get it to work given the breadth of software we package
are slim to inexistent.

What about the kernel as a starting point? It would be particularly interesting if the popular distro kernels all existed as branches.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx