Re: Codec Buddy misleading.

Kevin Kofler wrote:
Rahul Sundaram <sundaram <at> fedoraproject.org> writes:
From the legal perspective that is pretty much irrelevant since Red Hat is the legal entity that takes on liability for the Fedora Project but

A wacky idea, and I'm sure there are lots of reasons it is a bad idea, still it's something I've been wondering about ever since the whole "Fedora Foundation" talk: Why not create a Fedora foundation in a EU country? That might help solve this issue. And wasn't the main problem with the idea of a Fedora Foundation US tax laws? Maybe one of the EU countries has more advantageous laws?

The administrative overhead in setting up a foundation is pretty high and there are lots of limitations including how much a single organization can fund a foundation and things like that. One way out that I have suggested earlier (and got rejected) is

http://conservancy.softwarefreedom.org/

It is U.S based but if it is a foundation (by proxy) the liability is much less. Moving from U.S to Europe isn't really a good solution if there is no guarantee that the political powers in Europe won't make things worse with all the constant lobbying going on. Red Hat and others are pushing for patent reform in U.S and that IMO is a good thing to be involved in. Refer http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CodecBuddy. This is linked from the initial message in codeina.

Rahul