Re: F9 Feature Process

David Nielsen wrote:
ons, 07 11 2007 kl. 15:38 +0100, skrev Christopher Aillon:

Is it really worth getting people to update their feature page every two weeks? I'd argue it's much better to start looking for updates in the week or two prior to the freeze as those will be more meaningful. We should also encourage people to update their page regularly (or when their feature is completed), but I'm not convinced that enforcing this is a good idea.

Having reasonably updatyed feature pages really aids in advocacy. It
gives us a place to point people to as a means of showing what is
coming. Additionally not having the updated before the last few weeks
makes it look like we never do anything, which we can agree is untrue.

Meaning is not just having a finished product, it's marketing it,
getting people interested in the product and it's placing it in a larger
software ecosystem. Please feel free to tell us empty but expensive
sounding words of love when explaining to us how your feature will
improve our lives. We like that.. it makes us all hot and bothered about
Fedora.

So let's have beat reporters. Come to the weekly SIG meetings. Ask questions about features. Write a blog report about the progress. Maybe have it in FWN. Having people write about it in this fashion is much more excitement generating than a boring static page that people have to manually check every so often.

Engineers want to work on the features not the paragraphs, or maybe they aren't good at writing things in an exciting way. If we really want to generate excitement, and get people interested in things, then features pages is IMO the wrong approach.