Re: disable cpuspeed while X session active and screensaver not running

Arjan van de Ven wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:32:55 -0700
Florin Andrei <florin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fedora 7, running on an AMD64 dual core 6400, I disabled cpuspeed.
The results are incredible. Because the CPU clock stays up all the
time at 3.2GHz, instead of being pushed down most of the time to
1GHz, the system feels much faster. All desktop apps seem to react
10x faster. It's like upgrading from 486 to P3
The difference in CPU temperature after stopping cpuspeed is barely noticeable.

are you using the ondemand governer?
if so.. can you try the latest hal/gnome-power-manager? (they used to
change some tunings that ended up not meaning what was intended)

I just use whatever's the default in F7

If the latest hal/gnome-power-manager are included in the F8 test releases, then I might be able to test that.

I'm also surprised.. reaction time doesn't really depend on clock
speed...

The difference is quite visible. This feels like a different system now.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/