Re: disable cpuspeed while X session active and screensaver not running

More cool stuff:
If there is an easy way to control cpuspeed, it would be nice to have some sort of dispatcher combine several types of events, make decisions based on them, and then send signals to cpuspeed, such as: "don't throttle the CPU, we're in the middle of something", or "go ahead and throttle, do what you want". Or even "something's wrong, force throttling".

It would be nice if applications had a way to communicate throttling-related info to such a dispatcher. E.g., let's say Qjackctl is running, and the user clicked on the Start button, so therefore jackd is running. In that case, even if the screensaver would later send a throttling request, it should be overriden by Qjackctl's own request that says "don't throttle, even if screensaver kicks in."
Something like a system of priorities.

I guess what I'm saying is - throttling is technically good, but it's something the users may not want, and because it looks like something that can be managed by a clever software, the burden of managing throttling should not be pushed onto the users.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/