Re: gdm Create User

Bill Crawford wrote:
On 06/10/2007, Richi Plana <myfedora@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Well, that certainly sounds like a smart system ... and I'm all for
computers trying to be smarter than their users (if they can do it
successfully). But why add a timeout? I'm assuming finding out a list of
users from the console isn't a security issue (since they're displayed
as a list by GDM) so why not make the computer think one of two things
has happened: 1) the user mistyped the username or 2) the user wants to
create a new user. The system could ask which and ask for the root
password or directory administrator's password if it was a request for
the creation of users.

Because if you mistyped, you don't want some dialog popping up, or any
kind of other UI, appearing in place of the username and password
boxes you're about to fill in, again, hopefully with the correct
username and password this time :) without a reasonable delay (given
that someone who's expecting to be allowed to create a guest account
will either wait, or ask the owner of the machine what to do next, or
...).

Actually, how about just having a "create as new account" button
appear, but NOT FOCUSSED BY DEFAULT along with the login failure
message?

I admit, that I haven't completely sold myself on the idea as it was. I really was aiming at having a really open-to-guests mode. Then I tried to combine that with the desire to have user creation at gdm.

Something like what you said, but a bit different, would be to have the login button focused by default, but a button next to it as 'create new user and login'. Then have things happen pretty much the same (as f7), though perhaps with the failed login user/passwd 'text' remaining in that highlighted-but-will-disappear-on-keystroke way, and a failure message that indicates that the user can either attempt to retype in the failed user/passwd, or click the 'create user' button which will spawn that dialog prepopulated with the existing user/passwd.

Basically what that gets you, is that you can legitimately accidentally mistype your username, get the same failure message (jiggle), then with the exact same keystrokes as before, retype in username-tab-password-enter, and login. Or, if you had really wanted to create a new user, you either would have clicked the alternate create user button rather than using the default focused login button via <enter>, or, now upon seeing the 'invalid username/passwd' message but the text still there, click on that button.

$0.02...

-dmc