Re: Distributing Fedora packages under GPLv2 3(b)

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 10:02:06PM -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 10:19:11PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 20:06:52 -0500
> > Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > (GPLv2 is somewhat unclear if the 3 years is from the first
> > > distribution, or the last...)  The koji archive with lots of
> > > incremental builds would be many times the size of the SCCM storage
> > > needs.
> >
> > This is what has made me reluctant to venture toward using 3b.  The
> > uncertainty of when that 3 years starts, added to that the people
> > making use of 3c, do we the 3b folks have to keep things around for 3
> > years after a 3c person makes a release?  Does the 3year clock start at
> > the first distribution of an update or does it start with each respin
> > that includes the update but still hosted by Fedora?
> >
> > I'd like some serious clarification on these items

BTW, we've had this discussion before...
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2007-March/msg00219.html

I've forwarded this thread and the above linked thread to
brett@xxxxxxx for comment.  My gut feeling is that using GPLv2 3b
means we need nearly infinite storage somewhere, which last time I
checked we don't have...

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux