Re: Please modify your OpenGL using games to use opengl-games-utils

Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:
On Tuesday 2007-10-02 18:05:38 Hans de Goede wrote:
Ian Chapman wrote:
Doncho N. Gunchev wrote:

for all games just by exporting the environment variable.  Since you
are asking for the games packages to use this by default, there needs
to be a per-user way to disable the script action on multi-user
configurations.
Why not a checkbox - don't show this warning again? If checked - touch
a file (say ~/.no_video_warning) and don't bother the user again.

I think the user should be able to abort the game start, to start anyway
and to start anyway and never be bothered again.

+1

To be fair I haven't see the script (yet) but that sounds a like a sensible suggestion to me. The user should have the option of continuing regardless, if they so choose, and not to be bothered again. This should be as simple as possible and done graphically, ideally at launch time.

There are 2 issues with these train of thoughts:
1) There really is no reason to want to run fullscreen OpenGL programs without
    hardware acceleration, they will not be usable <period>. If you don't
    believe me, try it!

I know, from a long time. Users *should* be able to see it with their own eyes.

2) The current wrapper uses zenity, so it cannot do the advenced kind of
    dialogs with a checkbox people ask for.

Well... improvise:

ans=$(zenity  --list  --text "Your video..." --radiolist  --column "Pick"  \
--column "Option" FALSE "Run" TRUE "Don't run" FALSE "Never run such programs" \
 FALSE "Always run regardless"); echo $ans

I don't think we want the "Never run such programs" option, as from then on such programs would silently fail. But other then that it might be ok. I would need to see it. If someone wants to spend some time on implementing this and it doesn't look horrible I would be more then happy to take a patch for this.

Please submit any patches through bugzilla.

Regards,

Hans