Re: Re: yum update so slow

James Antill wrote:
On Mon, 2007-09-24 at 11:45 +0200, Jochen Schlick wrote:
Hi, I have a laptop where rawhide is installed since the days
of Fedora Core 1. It has only 256MB ram so updating using yum
was always like a lame duck but nowadays it's really a crap.

 This might not help, but if you'd like to try something I've attached
some python code which calls yum and "iterativlely updates". This might
make it be small enough that it isn't living in swap, or at least not as
badly.
 Let me know how it goes.

I tried yesterday evening it on my laptop and on a ram-shrinked(256MB) rawhide
qemu/kvm-guest at home. At first it looked fine, but when the script started
to update with X11-stuff (perhaps due to their dependencies or so) it failed to
update with "Error: Failed to update:..."  the script tried the next one
and so on. After an hour I realized that both systems were no longer reachable
and continuously swapping.
This morning I have the following results:
- The laptop was dead and after a reboot it hangs (so it needs further forensic
  analysis ;-)
- The rawhide quemu/kvm guest is alive, but most of the 70 updates are failed
  when I believe the update script. /var/log/messages shows a lot of oom-killer
  activity. On first sight I think every failed update corresponds with at least
  one oom-killer entry...

best regards