Re: Disable IPv6 by default.

Christopher Brown wrote:
On 13/09/2007, *"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"* <johannbg@xxxxx <mailto:johannbg@xxxxx>> wrote:

    Let's disable IPv6 by default and let the user enable it.

No, lets not. Users don't have to care about IPv6.

True but in case they want and care to disable IPv6 ( or visa versa )
Services and config files should stickt to either one not both. Unless user choose not
not "care". ( services listening to IPv6 when IPv6 is not enabled? )

    Which means if not enabled, all service's and configuration should be
    clean of IPv6 entry's
    until enabled.

So lets revert a few years of software development then.

If that actually what it takes to do make it listen to eithver IPv6 or visa versa then yes..

    The WorldWideWeb is far from switching to IPv6.

Really?

Let me refrase that the people that are running the hardware behing the WWW are not IPv6 ready
atleast the majority of them, thou protocols and standards are ( mostly )

    Institutions/company's wont spent $$$ in buying expensive IPv6 or
    dual
    capable IPv4/IPv6 Hardware
    unless they are forced to do due so...

Or the equipment that is produced comes with IPv6 capability by default to give the hardware folks a reason to sell more hardware.

    I don't know the strategy behind this  decision  from the beginning?

The world is running out of IPv4 addresses and NAT is a stop-gap that breaks things. Plus other nice things like QOS.

    ( maybe publicity  stunt  or to show the world we could  )
    Yeah, weee, the crowd goes wild *applause applause*

Yep, you got it. _That's_ the reason it is being implemented.

</sarcasm>

    Throw the dice and see if you make the reality check..

    Let's turn it of by default and reconsider it after 3 - 5 years or
    later

Hell, let's just stop progress altogether. We've landed on the moon after all. There's nothing left to do is there?

Seriously, can I ask what has prompted this or is it just a slow day at the office?

If I choose to disable something, it should be disabled and those thing related to it.

Cheers
Chris

--
http://www.chruz.com