Re: Volume control problems

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 21:01 -0500, Mike Chambers wrote:
> Latest rawhide install as of this morning, and am running into a volume
> control situation.  It seems that the icon in the panel is muted and/or
> won't show a volume control.  And the error message is something like
> below...
>
> No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found.
>
> Yet if I do a detect sound card, it finds it (SB Audigy LS?) and plays
> the sample sound just fine.
>
> Any ideas?

Do you by any chance have a USB MIDI device plugged in?

I've noticed that a MIDI-only device still takes up a card slot, and USB
devices get detected first. Thus upon every boot, if I forget to unplug
or turn off my MIDI keyboard, it takes card slot 0, the motherboard
audio ends up in slot 1, and sound output is basically fucked as
everything tries to output to the MIDI keyboard, which doesn't do PCM.

This is on Fedora 7. Maybe pulseaudio actually fixes this.