Re: Development SIG -- http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Development

On 8/20/07, Andrew Overholt <overholt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

We'd like to start a Development SIG with an eye towards making a
"Fedora for Developers" spin.  The goals for the moment boil down to:

Awesome!

. Eclipse stuff (most likely all of it)
. koji
. *-devel

The thing I would keep in mind is that I see these three very different kinds of developers that are probably fairly representative:

1) People developing on Fedora/GNOME/KDE  ("system/community" developers)
2) The guy who has an idea for a website about music, worked on Unix in college and has been learning Ruby since he heard a lot about Rails.  (hobbyist/solo developer)
3) Professional developer working on inhouse tools or a website for a large corporation, likely spends all day in Java (professional developer)

So for example, koji and *-devel are important for 1) but basically irrelevant for 2) and 3), whereas good Java support isn't important to 1), but is critical to 3).

Personally, I would optimize for 2) and 3) because they're the large audience; 1) largely knows what they want and how to get it.

In general though, I think a lot of this project is going to be figuring out what comps make sense and looking at the experience there.