Re: Disabling atime

Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Benjamin Lewis wrote:
>

>> In my experience, viewing a folder of images as thumbnails is
>> significantly slower with atime. Many users will be viewing folders of
>> images methinks. In addition, most GUIs read a large (read huge) number
>> of files when they load, so load times for the  GUI should be reduced also.
>>

> in my experience... should be...
>
> Does anyone have any numbers?  This thread has been long on assertions,
> and very short on measured results.
>
> noatime may well be faster in various situations.  Is anyone who is
> advocating noatime willing to demonstrate the speed gain quantitatively?
>
> For such a long thread on performance tweaking why are there so few
> benchmarks or timing results?
>
> -Eric

I believe there were some quantitative numbers earlier in the thread,
and I remember someone mentioning a 5% increase.

--

Benjamin Lewis
Fedora Ambassador

http://benl.co.uk./                                 PGP Key: 0x647E480C

"In cases of major discrepancy, it is always reality that got it wrong"
                                                        -- RFC 1118

begin:vcard
fn:Benjamin Lewis (tc1415)
n:Lewis;Benjamin