Re: reducing power usage of Fedora - how you can help!

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Would you like your laptop battery to last longer? Would you like your
servers to use less electricity? We certainly would. So we're investigating
and fixing Fedora to use less juice.

One of the biggest power problems is apps that wake up the CPU
unnecessarily. With the tickless kernel for x86 (and soon x86_64),
every time this happens it's a chance for power savings lost.

I have been running powertop occasionally over a period of couple of weeks and the following were suggested by powertop.

----

hal-disable-polling --device /dev/scd0
mount -o remount,noatime /
hciconfig hci0 down ; rmmod hci_usb
echo 5 > /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode

SELinux alert was suggested to be disabled but there is already a bug report on that.

Rahul