Re: RPM roadmapping

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Matthias Clasen wrote:

On Tue, 2007-08-07 at 14:49 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
On Sun, 5 Aug 2007, Matthias Clasen wrote:

One more thing that would be nice to take into consideration for rpm is
support for language packs or some way to install a limited set of
locales. We have traditionally kept our head in the sand, and said
rpm does not support this, disks are getting bigger anyway. But for
making useful live cds, something like this is pretty much indispensable
(considering that OOo with all locales is already bigger than one cd).

The existing %lang tag support might be almost good enough.

Actually rpm does already support installing only a limited set of locales
via %{_install_langs} macro setting, and I think anaconda even set that to
match the selected languages at some point. It's just not that useful
since there's no way (apart from reinstalling with --force) to get back
any of the skipped languages.

Thats what I meant with the existing support. What it is missing is that
rpm needs to track the installed and skipped locales per-package, and
some smart way to reinstall the relevant subset of packages when a new
locale is added to the system.

Yup.

Creating sub-packages for different locales doesn't suffer from that
problem but causes package (metadata) bloat...

Yeah, that is going to make the package database explode. Out of
interest, does the rpm database contain the %lang(<locale>) information
from the file lists, currently ?

Sure - how else could it support the above to the extent it currently does? :)

Something like this can be used to extract the info:
rpm -q --qf '[%{FILENAMES}\t%{FILELANGS}\n]' <package>

	- Panu -